Alchemipedia Link - Galileo Galilei (Italian Astronomer, Mathematician, Physicist, Philosopher) 1564 - 1642
Galileo Galilei Demographics:
- Full name - Galileo di Vincenzo Bonaiuti de' Galilei.
- Surname - Galilei.
- Born - 15 February 1564
- Birthplace - Pisa (then part of the Duchy of Florence), Italy.
- Died - 8 January 1642
- Nationality - Italian.
- Father - Vincenzo Galilei (famous lutenist & music theorist).
- Mother - Giulia Ammannati.
- Siblings - Eldest of 6 children.
- Mistress - Marina Gamba.
- Children - 3 children (son Vincenzo; daughters Virginia & Livia) by Marina Gamba.
- Occupation - Astronomer, mathematician, physicist, & philosopher.
- Astronomer - one of the greatest of post-Greek times.
- Thought of himself as a 'natural philosopher'.
- Remembered as the father of modern science - being the first person to understand that theory drives science.
- Experimented with telescopes.
- By January 1610 he started looking at the sky.
- Discovered Jupiter's satellites.
- Described the phases of Venus.
- Targeted by the church because of his anti-Ptolemaic views.
- Placed under house arrest by the Pope.
- Only at the end of the 20th Century was he religiously exonerated by the Vatican.
"Galileo, perhaps more than any other single person, was responsible for the birth of modern science." [Stephen Hawking]
Image: Taken @ Planetarium Galileo Galilei - Buenos Aires - Argentina, 2006 © Guilherme Oliveira - Some rights reserved.
Image source: from flickr by *The Boy From Cerrado (cc)
Tags: Astronomer - Galileo - Galileo Galilei - Italian - Jupiter - Pisa - Pope - Telescope - Vatican - Venus
Posted by ALCHEssMIST - Alchemipedia - Cetacographer - Nirvana - Tags alliance.