Alchemipedia Link - Thomas Harriot (English Astronomer, Mathematician) 1560 - 1621
Thomas Harriot Demographics:
- Name - Thomas Harriot
- Surname - Harriot or Hariot or Heriot.
- Born - c. 1560 (Oxford)
- Death - 2 July 1621 (London)
- Occupation - Astronomer, Mathematician, Ethnographer, Translator
- Nationality - English
- Education - Oxford University
- Graduate of Oxford University.
- Traveled on an expedition to the Americas, funded by Sir Walter Raleigh.
- Worked for the 9th Earl of Northumberland.
- The theory of refraction is attributed to Thomas Harriot.
- The first telescopic observer.
- First person to make a drawing of the moon viewed through a telescope (July 26, 1609).
- Performed this telescopic feat before Galileo Galilei.
- Some historians credit him with introducing the potato to Ireland & Great Britain.
Tags: Astronomer - Mathematician - Moon - Oxford University - Refraction - Telescope - Thomas Harriot
Posted by ALCHEssMIST - Alchemipedia - Cetacographer - Nirvana - Tags alliance.