Viktor Francis Hess Demographics:
- Name - Victor or Viktor Francis Hess
- Born - 24 June, 1883
- Death - 17 December, 1964
- Occupation - Physicist
- Nationality - Austrian-American
- Austrian physicist.
- Discoverer of cosmic rays.
- Won a half share of the Nobel physics prize in 1936 for work he undertook between 1911-1913.
- 1901 to 1905 - Undergraduate student at the University of Graz.
- 1910 - PhD in Physics at the University of Graz.
- 1910-1920 - Assistant to Stefan Meyer at the Institute for Radium Research, Viennese Academy of Sciences.
- 1921 - Worked at the US Radium Corporation, in New Jersey, and as Consulting Physicist for the US Bureau of Mines, in Washington DC.
- 1923 - Worked again at University of Graz.
- 1925 - Appointed the Ordinary Professor of Experimental Physics.
- 1931 - Appointed as Professor & Director of Institute of Radiology, The University of Innsbruck.
- 1938 - Relocated to the USA, with his Jewish wife, to escape Nazi persecution.
- 1938 - Appointed Professor of Physics at Fordham University.
- 1944 - Became naturalized citizen of the USA.
- 1956 - Retired from Fordham University.
- Lieben Prize (1919).
- Abbe Memorial Prize.
- Abbe Medal of the Carl Zeiss Institute in Jena (1932).
- Nobel Prize in Physics (1936) for discovery of cosmic rays.
Tags: 1936 - Abbe Medal - Cosmic Rays - Lieben Prize - Nobel Prize - Physics - Victor Francis Hess - Viktor Hess
Posted by ALCHEssMIST - Alchemipedia - Cetacographer - Nirvana - Tags alliance.
Alchemipedia | Alchemipedia Dates | Alchemipedia People | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |